U
/u/tributetotio
Guest
So I'm in InfoSec by day, I'm a manager so I have a lot of education sessions with my team and the other day I was giving a course on systemd in Debian and gave an example of hosting a Minecraft server. I genuinely pulled it out of nowhere and had never tried before (I think it came from a friend of mine who said he and his son had their own server). I decided to dive in to learning about how to make it happen, and naturally stumbled on this subreddit while researching 
My first couple servers were the first games of Minecraft I'd ever played. I just ran them on Debian VMs and they worked decent enough, but I really wanted something I'd feel comfortable opening up to my friends / outside folks - so I set out to try to get something together I'd be proud of and that I could share.
What I ended up doing was creating a separate DMZ-style network but with only Minecraft ports allowed through to one thing - An OpenBSD VM running pf to forward packets to a background VM network of 1) an LXC container hosting Velocity, Geyser, and Floodgate - 2) second LXC container hosting a lobby with a few plugins to set spawn and use portals to choose between modes, 3) third LXC container hosting Survival mode and, 4) fourth LXC container hosting Creative mode.
It took a bit but it was a project right up my alley and I'm super stoked having something I can leave open and share with my friends. Originally I was gonna put the whole thing on another ISP modem separate from my network entirely but with the restrictions I put in place I feel alright (granted I don't think it will be permanent because - A) it feels like a CTF challenge, and B) I'm naturally paranoid and may pull the plug in the middle of the night or something after thinking it over lol).
Anyway if anyone is trying to do the same thing and has any questions I'd love to share on how I managed to get it done, or if you wanna come play creative hit me up I'll give you the link.
Cheers! Thanks for all the posts!
submitted by /u/tributetotio
[link] [comments]
Continue reading...
My first couple servers were the first games of Minecraft I'd ever played. I just ran them on Debian VMs and they worked decent enough, but I really wanted something I'd feel comfortable opening up to my friends / outside folks - so I set out to try to get something together I'd be proud of and that I could share.
What I ended up doing was creating a separate DMZ-style network but with only Minecraft ports allowed through to one thing - An OpenBSD VM running pf to forward packets to a background VM network of 1) an LXC container hosting Velocity, Geyser, and Floodgate - 2) second LXC container hosting a lobby with a few plugins to set spawn and use portals to choose between modes, 3) third LXC container hosting Survival mode and, 4) fourth LXC container hosting Creative mode.
It took a bit but it was a project right up my alley and I'm super stoked having something I can leave open and share with my friends. Originally I was gonna put the whole thing on another ISP modem separate from my network entirely but with the restrictions I put in place I feel alright (granted I don't think it will be permanent because - A) it feels like a CTF challenge, and B) I'm naturally paranoid and may pull the plug in the middle of the night or something after thinking it over lol).
Anyway if anyone is trying to do the same thing and has any questions I'd love to share on how I managed to get it done, or if you wanna come play creative hit me up I'll give you the link.
Cheers! Thanks for all the posts!
submitted by /u/tributetotio
[link] [comments]
Continue reading...