Reducing ping to the theoretical minimum

U

/u/Better-County8600

Guest
What's the theoretically lowest possible ping my server could achieve?

I'm self hosting on capable hardware, the server is connected directly to my fiber internet modem on a residential connection for only a few users that all live very near.

In my city, Residential Fiber is the norm. I have 1 user that consistently gets 20 ms of ping on ethernet, but most of the others (Even if on fiber and ethernet) get around 35-55 ms. I feel this is slightly unfair as the low ping player starts fights with others and seems to always be more precise. (Anti-cheat is running so I don't think cheating is the problem).

My home connection is 3 gig up/down.

I was trying to understand about local internet routing datacenter in Edmonton Alberta and found that Telus (my ISP) doesn't participate in YEGIX (A free local internet routing that keeps local traffic local), and therefore some traffic may be sent far away for "Core Routing" to Calgary.

Could it be that the user getting 20 ms of ping is somehow geographically closer in the fiber deployment, while the others may have different routing stations AKA a further away routing station?

View attached speedtest ran from the server.

submitted by /u/Better-County8600
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...
 
Back